Monday, November 13, 2006

I close my eyes, and then I slowly release the darkness and embrace the light.. i think it's called a blink?

I gave in to Amy's requests and went to work at six yesterday morning to cover for my Mexican, metal-head friend, Darren. I'm usually off Saturday mornings, but it got me out of bed and the few hours I spent there will add an extra sixty bucks to my paycheck next week. I'm amazed sometimes at how little I actually work at work. Today I got to hang in the merch office and I discovered that if you make a photocopy, cover it with even strips of scotch tape, then slowly peel back the copy, a grainy image will be left on the tape, which you can adhere to anything you please. So, I copied some pictures of Gabriel Garcia Marquez and taped them in my journal along with some drawings and random, distressing words clipped from an insurance company's fax. The images have a ghostly, urgent look that I'm really happy with. After that, I took the words "Death and Dismemberment" from the fax and stuck them onto a frame that held a picture of Gino's girlfriend. The frame was engraved with "Love is..." followed by a string of sentimental adjectives. Seeing that he's a dark and morbid type, I thought he'd enjoy my addition. I got back from work and watched Donnie Darko, which I hadn't seen in a year or so. I love that movie, but I was surprised (well, not really) by how artificial Drew Barrymore seems in her role. However, I've been repeating "Cellar Door" in my head endlessly for the last few hours. It really is a beautiful phrase.

No comments: