Tuesday, August 01, 2006

And those with defeat on their faces, Are those that we must keep alive...


journal
Originally uploaded by gem123lee.

Can you tell that I am in "out letting" mode? I keep posting random stuff that I am sure I will delete soon. I had to do this task last week to concentrate on one thing. The one thing was a couple of sentences.

"There is nothing I can do to earn more of God's love.There is nothing I can do to lose God's love."


So I spent the first few days reciting this line to myself and trying to make sense of it... and trying to remember it. In the mean time we had a class with Mark Sayers and a few people piped up and debated the sentence and whether or not it was right. And they debated the use of the words in the sentence and they debated why Stephen would give this to "focus on". Through everything they were saying... it occurred to me... that it is not what is written on the piece of paper.. it's not the words or the choice of words.. it's not if you can remember it.. it's not about that. It's so much deeper and YES! life changing. For me at least. I realized it isn't the sentence we are focusing on.. it's the point of why we are doing it. God's love will never change. It is as it has been for thousands and thousands of years. We were loved before we even knew it... we were loved by God before anyone ever knew us. How dare we debate this??? How dare we sit in a class room trying to reword a sentence that we should already have written in our hearts in blood!! And it's not just this sentence that we focus on... it's the fact we are focusing on something that makes up our being! And a step deeper then that, is the reason why we focus on it!

For example, I have a real hard time trying to focus on thoughts and yet focus on this one thing.. has changed that. It's a tool and lesson I have learnt and can re use to help me focus on the "important things" in life. So many times can I just read something and repeat it to get into my brain.. but to focus.. for 5 minutes +, that was at first a challenge.... but now... I read my bible and the words just come alive.. I sit and I think about it.. I focus on what God is saying through this book directly at me.

2 comments:

Stephen Said said...

yes. Yes. YES! It's happening. It's not the words, it's not an intellectual exercise, its not its not its not! *he dances and spins with excitement* It is a trick but not one that is cynical. It is opening the eyes when they are already open. It is seeing. It is SEEING! IT IS SEEING!

I couldn't explain it. I told you I couldn't. Didn't I? No one believed me and why should they eh? I didn't when I first read it and tried it.

It is contemplation. It is holy seeing. It is seeing the beauty, but there is a price. You see the evil too. Is it worth it? I suspect it will take years to tell.

To quote Morpheus - "Welcome to the real world."

Thanks for trying. (And it's only two weeks!) ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Gem!

OH MY GOODNESS! I totally agree with your statements! I was sitting through that class with Mark Sayers totally ready to crack it at everyone for questioning the validity and words of the contemplation sentence!

It frustrated the crap out of me? I mean, how dare people question something so holy and perfect and pure... and GODLY?

Ahh. Venting. I forgot that I never quite let out my frustration as to that class... so thanks for allowing me to.

Keep up the good work.

God Bless
Rudi

PS I have a blog too... finally... check it out if you want: