Tuesday, October 16, 2007

a dream

We borrowed your father’s car and put Iron and Wine on the stereo.
a new cd where we barely knew the words yet managed to pretend enough to enjoy each song.
You smelt like Sunday, so restful and carefree, I liked you this way.
We drove down past the local hotels, bars and venues. We passed old friends and family, pointing out the people we knew and filling each other in on the stories we had created.
As the familiar passed and the new came into view, we talked about ourselves and the similarities we had. I told stories of my 21st and the reasons why I disliked clubs. You shared your political views and reasons why you liked hardcore music and Swedish metal. We really didn't have a lot in common, in fact we could have said we were complete opposites. But that’s why we were what we were. That’s why I liked you, and you liked me.
We talked about God and our passion for living a life like Jesus. We passionately spoke about our desire for change and our longing for our world to be a better place.We drove through your old neighbourhood and you spoke excitedly about your primary school and Local Park, useless information that meant something to me... only because it meant something to you.
We talked about your ex flames and mistakes. We tentatively spoke of marriage and relationships in the hope we wouldn't scare each other.
My eyes were fixed on you as you drove down the highway, I noticed your lips and the way they unevenly curled when you smiled. I noticed how your eyes shone and danced as we spoke of friends and fun past times. I loved the way you looked at me between traffic as I spoke with my hands to show you my enthusiasm.
We arrived at the bay, in time to catch the sun setting on the water. Sitting in the car you told me how you felt and that life was better with me in it. I sat in wonder at how truly lucky I was.
I held his hand and he held mine.

No comments: